Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dear Chef Brad,

I am writing today because I wanted to tell you how excited I was to attend one of your recent seminars. I was especially excited to try out a few of your ideas on how I can let/help food bring my family closer together. I must admit that I was rather pleased with myself and the progress I have done with my family so far. Prior to attending your seminar, we already ate together nightly as a family, so we were doing something right. Thanks for the confidence booster, you did a great job mentioning that at the beginning before you get into all the stuff we should be doing (you know, to do better).

You mention that is was important to have your children help in the kitchen. Apparently, I missed the age requirement that you mentioned. I have been allowing my children to help cook and bake for quite sometime, but never pushed the issue. I decided, since taking your seminar to ask more often. Everything ran smoothly until last night.

While creating my masterpiece of a dinner last night, I had my lovely (and eager) four year old daughter help. Minus the hair dipping that occurred at the beginning, the ingredients went into the bowl nicely. We encountered the problem when it came time to mix the ingredients into something more than just a pile of potatoes and green beans.

My daughter, still eager, pleaded with me to stir. I allowed her, upon your suggestion, to stir. She dug that spoon deep down into the dish and tried with all her might. It wouldn't budge. A wedge adjustment later, and we have green beans and potato chunks catapulting through our kitchen.

You will be happy to know that although my daughter was quite distraught, I was calm as calm could be. Actually I was laughing pretty hysterically. My daughter's face went from worried to relieved and we proceeded to pick up the chunks that decorated the wall, counter, floor, and jacket rack (a nice one I might add). I thought to take a picture, but I figured I would probably gross people out, it did kind of look like someone didn't like dinner too much...if you know what I mean. The globs of cream of chicken didn't help.

So, in your next seminar you might want to warn parents that this is not an easy task (letting children help). Sometimes it is not in the best interest of you or the child. Your child, for instance, might want to lick the knife or touch and/or taste raw meat. (I would know!)

Sometimes, you just don't have the time to clean up the mess afterward. (Although, I guess you could have the kids do that...unless of course you want it clean, and then you are better off doing it yourself).

Overall, your advise is sound and I have taken it to heart.

Sincerely,

Monique

P.S. Don't forget to mention the age requirement next time.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I agree. I let Derek help me cook the other day and it was fine until Ethan joined in. He wanted to do all sorts of dangerous things like sit on the stove, cut things up, etc. Are you really going to send this to him? If so, maybe you could let him know that Helena named his flour substitute for baking "trifecta flour" and that several ladies in the ward now use this term and this new flour mix. I love it. I just went to Wholefoods today to get some more brown rice, barley, and spelt. yay!
Crystal