Friday, September 19, 2008

Birth

It is such an amazing thing. I have had the rare opportunity to participate in the birth of 8 children. Three being my own, of course, and five being those of friends and family.

I am never short of amazed when someone asks me if I would like to be there for the birth of their baby. I consider it an honor to be a part of such a blessed event. From an outsiders perspective, it simply amazes me what women are capable of enduring. What our bodies are capable of creating (OK, with help), sustaining, and accomplishing. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing. Life. Created from "cells" that transform, in the span on months, into someone; someone who will forever change the way we view the world and live in it.

From my perspective, nothing could be more painful or trying then giving birth. Something inherent tells us to do it, over and over again. (Trust me, I still can't figure this one out...another one of the "loop holes"- something like a vale - Heavenly Father threw in there to be sure we keep procreating and populating the Earth).

Jeremiah's birth was amazing. Bridget wanted to go natural and not have any pain medication. I knew she could do it. She knew she could do it. But when you are down in the pits, your resolve fades fast, especially when your loved ones want to give you whatever you want because you are sobbing and hurting. No one likes to see a loved one hurting.

Bridget was able to focus and breath, and overall her labor was quick. She transitioned really fast and went from a 7 to pushing in less than a half an hour. I was so proud of her, and my emotions were all over the place. I was happy the delivery went well and she got the birthing experience she wanted.

I joked around and told her that this experience will either bring us closer or push us apart...you know, depending on how she took my "coaching". She didn't yell at me, and she still answers my calls, so I guess that is a good sign.

I think I take for granted that another woman (especially someone who has had a child/children) might want to see me (OK, maybe not me per se, more like someone) give birth. The experience is so phenomenal. It gives you perspective on what you did and how truly amazing it is. I guess not everyone would want to, but I think the majority, if given the opportunity, would be excited to participate in the birth experience of a close friend or relative.

So, consider this an open invitation. If, for some reason, Shaun and I get so crazy itch to expand the family even more, you can all come and watch me have a baby. I take RSVP's and we have limited space. No betting allowed. Cost - priceless. LOL

Thanks Bridget for the breathtaking experience. I am thankful you think enough of me that you were willing to let me in on an experience I will never forget.

5 comments:

Davey said...

I love reading about birth. I am jealous of you, getting to attend so many women's births. I have only attended my own and I would love to see it from another perspective. I'm so happy Bridget got the birth she wanted too :).

Unknown said...

I'll RSVP now to get a "good" view. ha ha How much are front row seats? ha ha ha

Crystal said...

thanks for sharing this. I love going to other peoples births as well. I have been lucky enough to go to 8 other births that weren't my own and they were all peaceful, natural births. Sometimes I wish I could do it for them so they don't have to hurt. I think it is harder to be the coach sometimes than to be the one having the baby. It is extremely emotional and you just want to help them so bad.

H said...

You're all nuts! Natural, good. Audience, bad. Audience member, not so much. (unless you really, really, need me there)

Beautiful story though.

(my work verification is sir hunky, I wonder what omen that is for you Mo)

Anonymous said...

What a great friend you are, Monique!