Thursday, September 25, 2008

Activities Day!!!

How many girls does it take to make a four course, restaurant style meal? 4

Today the girls came over to make dinner for the Hopkin's, who had their baby about a week and a half ago. I tried to think of what I could have them make that would take time, cooperation, and be fun. We I decided on lasagna, a salad and bread sticks. We did have dessert, but seeing as how it was a carton of ice cream, we didn't really "make it.

I was a little nervous on the girls' kitchen skills...I mean, I have insurance, but I didn't want anyone suing me because a finger ended up in the salad. I had no need to worry. It was obvious the girls had been in the kitchen before, voluntarily or by force. Granted, a mess was made, and clean-up wasn't nearly as fun as the preparation and cooking.

They each got to try the salad they made and made their own bread sticks to enjoy. They really did do everything by themselves with little direction from me. I was impressed and proud of them. I told them who the dinner was for, and they were all like, "this is for Chase?""I can't believe I am making dinner for Chase!" I guess when you are the same age as someone in the family of the person you are making dinner for, you kind of dwell on that.

They did great. They felt accomplished and had fun serving others. I would have loved for them to come with me to drop it off, but I thought the Hopkin's might want to eat before 8.

I love my calling as the Activities Day Leader. I love the girls and all the insight they give to me on what it means to be a Child of God, and what it means to be a kid. To look at things from a different perspective. To slow down. To feel more and think less.

1 comment:

H said...

My girl is in the kitchen by choice, mostly. Dishes are done by force! It sounds like you all had a grand time and that your kitchen survived :)

The girls love you as their leader and I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. It is fun to have guest speakers so the girls know that there are other sisters out there that know stuff.