Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Year-in-Review Letter

Dearest Loved Ones,

2007 was supposed to be a lucky year, and I guess in many ways it was. I am glad I am not a betting woman or I would have put money on a totally different outcome for the year. A year in review:

Shaunton and I celebrated 7 years of wedded bliss, I am happy to say that there is no itch.

Somehow we managed to get pregnant while using protection…and fending off two little ones that liked to sleep in our bed. We decide we wanted to be surprised with this pregnancy and not find out what we are having. After all, we have a boy and a girl…it was going to be one or the other, right? I mean, what are the chances I was abducted and impregnated with alien spawn? The big surprise was that I had complications, serious complications. Two boring, normal pregnancies and two healthy babies had me unprepared for the bleeding that started at 12 weeks. Come July, about 22 weeks into the pregnancy, I decided to get a second opinion on the bleeding and ended up admitted to the hospital. Two blood transfusions, meds to stop contractions, steroid shots for lung development, and 5 weeks later there was no more they could do. The baby needed out, and now. We had our tiny miracle baby, Owen Edison Davis, on August 3, 2007 at 6:50pm (27 weeks gestation). He was a whopping 2 lbs. .3 oz. and was 13 inches long. Twelve long weeks of rollercoaster emotions, worry, hospital visits, one surgery, four blood transfusions, and a partridge in a pear tree…we were finally able to bring Owen home, tipping the scales at 5 lbs. 14 oz. and 19 inches long.

While in the hospital, I managed to miss Jaxen’s first day of school. Yes, he is a big boy now! Kindergarten! His teacher raves about his artistic ability (much more detailed than most kids his age) his agility (the only one in his class that can cross the monkey bars) and his smarts (we already knew he was a genius). He is doing extremely well and likes school. He makes us so proud. He has a crazy sense of humor and loves to entertain his classmates, sister and brother.

Ember is three years old and can’t wait for preschool, maybe after Christmas break. She loves to paint, play play-doh, sing (she is quite the song writer and sings her own material often), and take care of Owen (Yikes! This one has been an adventure!) When she isn’t in his face or kissing him all over, she is mothering her dollies, pretending to be pregnant with her doll up her shirt, or pumping “mi-mi’s” for her baby (like mom). She also loves to read (she has quite a few memorized and likes to read to me and Owen).

Shaun is still at Jacobs, this is year five. He has racked up quite a bit of daddy points while I was in the hospital. It took a lot for him to take care of two little ones, taxi them between friends’ houses to watch them while he worked, and still find time to entertain his bed ridded wife each night. He has also learned how to do laundry, I am sure he could still figure it out…if I let him. He played flag football this year. He was the best player on the team…and he was the center…so that tells you something. He still likes to work out to maintain that svelte figure. I still don’t know how he manages to get up 2-3 days a week at 4 am to do it! That, my friends, is determination!

I am a SAHM with 3 wonderful (and awful, and silly, and fun, and crazy) kids whom I love (most of the time). We are adjusting to being a family of five. We thank the Lord for taking a chance on us. Somehow the cards fell just the way they were supposed to. We have all we could ask for and more and give thanks to Heavenly Father daily for all our blessings. 2007 was a year with crazy odds, but ones we were able to beat. We love each of you who have been a part of it, both directly and indirectly. We think about you often. May 2008 be a calmer year (yah right!) and one that brings us all closer together.

Count your blessings; See what the Lord has done!


Best wishes and all our love,

The Davis Family

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I could write this much about our family. I just never think of enough to write about each person or about the entire family.