Thursday, March 6, 2008

I hate to love you...

I know, who would have thought that I was involved with anyone else but my husband? I have a love/hate relationship with ... the Girl Scouts.

I swear one time a year they come outta the woodwork selling cookies in front of almost every store. This year they have branched out from the usual Walmart and Fry's locations and opened up shop in front of Blockbuster. For those of you ASU Alumni, you can find at least one or two troops in the depths of campus. You also find out co-workers have children you didn't know about, when they bring in that form.

No, it's not like the good 'ol days where you walked door to door and annoy every person in your neighborhood with your little speech about the cookies. I know there was a reason we were selling those things? You sent the order form in for cookies and made the special deliveries upon their arrival. Now, you skip right to the chase, buy a ton up front and sell them in front of stores. I swear some of these girls have to be ditching school to sell them. I have even seen just the parents out selling them. Go Parent Scouts.

Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try
To serve as many cookies as I can To serve God and my country
To feed help people at all times,
And to sell as many over priced, but oh-so-delicious cookies as I can live by the Girl Scout Law.

I sat pondering last night the cost of these oh-so-delicious cookies. They are now $4 a box. One of my favorites, the Samoas, contain 15 cookies in that beautiful purple box. My friends, that is .27 cents a cookie! What?! I give my kids tickets (reward system) that are worth .25 cents. Shaun was nice enough to give Jaxen and Ember one of his cookies last night (the peanut butter ones).

*Clearing throat* That will not be happening with my cookies. I love my kids, but these cookies are expensive and I am selfish, at least when it comes to these. I even ration them out to myself! At least I bought a box of Thin Mints, a true value at .11 cents a cookie. Yum.

I can rant all I want...but I will always buy Girl Scout cookies. Why? Because I was a Girl Scout myself (I was even a Daisy and a Brownie...do they still do that?). Plus those darn little Scouts are so cute in their little green vests. My mom was my troop leader, not sure what possessed her to sign up for that, but I am grateful she did. I know she has a box somewhere in her attic full of my little blue Daisy vest, my brownie sash, and my girl scout uniform complete with all the badges you could ask for. I even took school pictures in my brownie uniform.

Ahh those were the good old days. I might, however, have to draw the line when they hit $5 a box. *sigh* Then again, it is a once a year tradition...just might have to limit the number of boxes I buy. *frown*

2 comments:

H said...

Yes, there still are Daisies and Brownies. Our girls will be there sooner than we can imagaine! I'll be your assistant troop leader, hah! I think the price will stay at $4/box for a while since it just went up. Maybe you'll want to stock up in another year or two. Thin Mints are best frozen anyway!

Jill said...

I can see why you ration them. Holy cow! When I was selling them they were 1.50 a box. Lucky you saw them everywhere. We didn't see one place to get them here. Talked about having some but never came across any girl scout. too bad :( Hope you enjoy yours !