Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Little Missionary

Yesterday evening we decided to go to the park to practice soccer with the kids. Jaxen wanted to invite the little boy next door to go with us. His mother said yes, so we load up into the car. As we are pulling out, this is the conversation I hear in the backseat.

F (Boy next door): This is baby music, I don't wanna listen to baby music.
J: It's not baby music it's church music.
F: Oh.
J: Mom, can you turn it up?

I smile and turn it up a little.

J: Did you know that the Lamanites and Nephites were both good guys and bad guys? (He had asked Shaun earlier if the Lamanites were good guys and Nephites were bad guys. Shaun explained that there were times when each was good and each was not so good.)
F: Who?
J: The Nephites and the Lamanites. The fought alot.
F: (I didn't hear anything, he was probably trying to figure out what Jaxen was talking about!)
J: Do you know we are Lamanites?

I have to admit I was so proud of him. He stuck up for his religion and the music we love. He took a step further and tried to explain a little about the Book of Mormon, even if it was just a general overview of the action-packed parts. *sniff* Already a missionary...makes me want to do a little better.

On this topic I have to say that I was much impressed with the Primary Activity held this past Saturday...and not just because I could drop off two kids and leave! Jaxen and Ember came home talking about the brass plates, Joseph Smith, and Lehi's journey across the sea and many other memorable topics covered in two hours. It was hands on and they really enjoyed it and talked about it for days!

2 comments:

H said...

I have a picture from Saturday for you. Send me an email and I'll forward it to you. It was fun to watch all the engineer's kids build an altar out of cardboard blocks...they all tackled it differently.

Jill said...

Its neat to see what our kids do learn when they are not listening...at least thats how I think it works. I have always been impressed by your teaching and example and it definately shines through in your kids. Jaxen probably wasn't thinking he was doing anything special and its that kind of teaching that is the best. Way to go Jaxen!