Friday, February 15, 2008

Always be prepared...

For FHE on Monday we went over out Fire Prevention Plan. The good ole stop, drop, and roll, crawling under the smoke, feeling the doors and how to get out of the house from two different ways. I wanted the kids to know how to open their windows and climb out in case they ever needed to. Each of our windows has a screw type "thingy" that you have to move to be able to open the window. Keeps it from being opened from the outside is my guess for the contraption.

Anywho, I was having Jaxen and Ember practice opening and going out the window and meeting at the back fence. Ember was totally freaking out. She didn't want to open the window. She didn't want to go out the window. She didn't want to run to the fence. And she definitely didn't want to "pretend there was a fire". So, after a few times of going over everything we called it a night.

Jaxen had apparently learned someta thing or two on ll this at school. He was very well versed and knew his stuff! I was so proud. *beaming* He was a good example for his sister.

A few days later, I am in cleaning the bathrooms when I hear the back door slide open and shut. Hmm, wasn't she just in her room playing with Sydney? I go peek in and her window is open. I catch her standing by the door with a huge grin.

"What are you doing?"
"Practicing going out the window, like last night (all past nights are classified as last night)."

Well, at least I know she knows how to get out of her window.

Other memorable moments for the week:

Jaxen won first prize on his science fair project. In all fairness it was on a scale, so there is more than one first prize winner, etc. The judges who pulled him out to talk to him about the project were uber impressed. He knew his stuff and had a very good presentation. Not bad for a kindergartener.

Ember got some stickers from her grandma in the mail for Valentine's Day. (Thanks Grandma!) She immediately puts some on the back of her hands. Later, we are sitting at dinner and she says. "I have an idea! Let's pretend these stickers are really ratatoods!" TRANSLATION: "Let's pretend these stickers are really tattoos!" You had to see her face. LOL

And finally, the other day we were talking a walk and Jaxen was pulling Ember in the wagon.

M: You are so strong, Sonny!
J: Because I am 5 years old and I never give up!

That's right Sonny, you are five and I hope you never do give up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We need to do a fire drill too. Maybe Trae could lead the discussion on how to get out the window. lol