Thursday, April 8, 2010

Zuppa Toscana Soup

Sounds all fancy, doesn't it? It is. I just wish I had fancy dishes to showcase these fancy meals. I really like the all white look, but they aren't very photogenic.

What's that you say? You have some Kale just taking up space in your crisper? Here is the recipe for you!

Let me first start off with a lesson. This is Kale.
This is not Kale.
You'll like this.

As I am grocery shopping and checking all my price matching, I come to the produce aisle. I am pretty confident I know what Kale looks like. (It's green and leafy, it has to be what isn't lettuce...and I know what different lettuces look like.) Not that I have ever bought kale. Or even eaten it. Or...well, you get the point. So, I take my swagger over to the produce aisle. Feel around in the "kale" to find a good one. (Not that I have even the slightest clue on what to look for.) I even have the "kale" bagged and in my cart with a huge goofy grin on my face feeling all proud of myself. Wow, am I the only one that eats kale? Who are these uncouth people? Haven't they the desire to try something refined?

Hmm, what's that over there? Just off to my right at eye level. Granted, it is green and leafy. Better take a look. No one else is buying that either. It's kale. But if this is kale, what is that thing I bagged and put in my cart?

Casually pull unknown green leafy vegetable (I think it's a vegetable) out of my cart and put it back nicely. Drawing no attention to myself. Grab the closest kale and stuff it in the bag. It's not like I know what I am looking for anyway. Make my way outta there. I guess I wouldn't get very far on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?.

So, do you know what vegetable I put in my cart? (I know, I looked it up...but wanted to see if you are smarter than a fifth grader.)

Alright, stop laughing and write down this recipe. You will definitely want it. It was delicious. I had two bowls. My husband loved it. My children loved it. Except for Owen, but he doesn't count. He doesn't like anything that isn't a PB&J sandwich, bean burrito, or cereal. He would mess up the vote.

This soup is hearty and creamy. Not sure on healthy...but it has a green leafy vegetable in there, so that has got to be worth something. You can read more about the health benefits of kale here.

Zuppa Toscana Soup
3/4 cup onion, diced            2 med. potatoes, cut into cubes
1 slice bacon, diced             2 cups cavallo greens, chopped (or kale)
1 1/4 tsp minced garlic         1 1/2 C spicy precooked sausage
1 ounce chicken bouillon      3/4 C. heavy cream
1 qt water

Place onions and bacon into a large saucepan and cook onions over medium heat until they are almost clear. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. And chicken bouillon, water and potatoes, bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 more minutes, then serve.

Mo Tips: For the record, you can use bacon bits if you are too lazy to thaw out a pack of bacon for one or two slices. I used a 1 pound roll of sausage, regular flavor. I used more potatoes and kale and eyeballed it. Keep the skin on the potatoes. Its healthy too...see? Yummo.

Enjoy...you can thank me later!

3 comments:

proud parents said...

That looks like bok choy to me.
Yummy! Guess you'll be bringing that over next time I have a baby???

H said...

Oh man, Mo! Now Bill will never eat that soup again because it has something healthy in it. (Is it the Olive Garden version?)

I'm with Jennifer, bok choy, but I never would have come up with that myself.

And Jennifer, is that an announcement? :0

proud parents said...

Goodness! I walked right into that one, didn't I? The answer is : NO! Exclamation point. Underscore. Highlight.

I'm just sayin', keep this salivating-inspiring soup in mind if you ever get the inclination to bring me dinner--which would probably only be when or if I ever have another child!