Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hummingbirds

Makes for an interesting title. Makes for an interesting dessert. Who said all the new recipes I tried had to be main dishes, right? So, here I am on a Thursday planning on making cake from scratch. I go to Fry's in the morning after dropping of two kids and a bike at school. Today was Ember's show and tell. I don't want to stunt her growth or throw off her mojo by not letting her take her bike. Her teacher said it was OK (she was the one the was supposed to nix the idea, I thought she had my back!). I even called to be sure...just in case Ember was "remembering" a conversation that never happened. I could just see her as a young adult saying, "You remember that one time I wanted to bring my two wheeler bike to school for show and tell...and you didn't let me? I have yet to get over it!" (I don't want her casting her life problems on me.) So, one van seat and car seat removal later, we have a bike in the back and a not so safe 7 year old riding shot gun. I didn't hear him complain. (Until I picked him up and he was disappointing that there was no bike where his seat should be, granting him shot gun status.)

Right, where was I...Fry's. So, I made a list this morning and head to Fry's after I dropped off the kids. Purchased all my goods, dropped them off at home, and went walking. With all this good food I have to do something to maintain my girlish figure. OK, I really don't. But I like to stay active...it feels good.

Get home and get ready to make a cake. What?! No flour? A futile attempt at borrowing from the neighbors. I know someone was home, but no one answered. (I saw them leaving a few minutes later...) Hmmm?

Feel bad about waking up Kaysen to Fry's again. Get 10 lb bag of flour...just in case.

Come home make cake. Take picture. Take to quilting group. Hear Shaun joke that I don't ever try out the new desserts on him. He is content to know that I will bring some home.

Dessert is a hit. It is called Hummingbird Cake. Hence, the title of my post.

Because I know you like stories, I have to tell you what happened as I was putting the cake out to eat. I dropped it.

No, I didn't.

I brought it in a fancy cake holder...do those things have a name? Just, cake holder? Anywho...it has an anti-theft mechanism. I couldn't get the stupid thing open. I mean, how challenged am I? They put the instructions on how to open the thing write on the top. I had flashes of panic as I wondered if we would get any cake at all. Or maybe one of us would have to hold up the one side of the lid I managed to get open while another person cuts the cake. Was I even going to get to try this dessert? I was glad there weren't too many people privy to my ineptness. I have to give myself a break...I didn't want to try too hard...I might drop/bump/misplace the icing. No one wants to eat a cake that doesn't look good.

So, on that note...here is a recipe for you...from me...from someone on a parenting forum that I used to frequent. Notice that we went with something a little more daring...everything looks better dressed in red! (Eek, mental picture, almost everything!)

Hummingbird Cake
(I guess I kind of felt like a light hummingbird while partaking.)

Cake:
3 C flour                                 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda                    1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 tsp salt                                 1 C chopped pecans
2 C sugar                                2 C chopped bananas
1 tsp cinnamon                       1/2 C chopped pecans
3 large eggs, beaten
1 C vegetable oil

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened       1 (16 0z) pkg powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened         1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first five cake ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat) Stir in vanilla, pineapple (w/ juice), 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.
Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
The longer this cake sits in the fridge before serving, the better it is.

Mo tips: I use canola oil with all my cooking, unless it is a deep fryer. I also bought the pecans that were pretty much pulverized. I guess it depends on how you like your nuts. I put the directions as is, but I am sure you could have figured out how to frost a cake without the explicit detail. However, I wanted you to get the recipe in it's true, unedited form.

P.S. I don't sift either.

No comments: