Thursday, April 29, 2010

Feeling guilty?

While reading a book, I came upon this quote by Sister Wendy Beckett:

"I don't think being truly human has any place for guilt...contrition, yes, but guilt no. Contrition means you tell God you are sorry and you're not going to do it again and you start off afresh. Guilt means you go on and on belaboring and having emotions and beating your breast and being ego-fixated. Guilt is a trap. People love guilt because they feel if they suffer enough guilt they'll make up for what they've done, whereas, in fact, they're just sitting in a puddle and slashing. Contrition, you move forward. It's over. You are willing to forgo the pleasure of guilt."


A lot of times I find myself thinking of something I have said or done in the past. Something I have repented for. It is usually at a time when I am feeling down or tired. I understand it is there to be a reminder, but I think it is true that sometimes we throw stuff back up into our own faces (splashing so to speak) as a way to feel sorry for ourselves, or find another reason to stay angry with ourselves. I don't want to get back into the puddle once I have already jumped over it.

What say you?

2 comments:

proud parents said...

Great. Now I feel guilty for ever feeling guilty.

All kidding aside, I think most women in general tend to be guilty (pun intended) of this trap and it's a hard, but important lesson for us to learn. Thanks for sharing.

H said...

A quote from French Kiss comes to mind... Kate doesn't want her ex to feel guilty because then she will feel guilty that he feels guilty. Then she says, "No, go ahead. Feel guilty. Wallow in it. Swim around until your fingers get all pruney."

Let it go, that's what I say. Just Let.It.Go. I do that with worry too. That being said, I think we need to sometimes remember our screw ups so that we don't repeat them. Don't beat yourself up, just learn from it and move on. Boy, I just needed my own advice. Thanks. I'll see if I listen to myself :)