Friday, August 1, 2008

Playing with Fire

In the wrong hands, romance can be dangerous and messy. I will be the first to say that candles have taken a back burner over the last few years. The "time" you have most often limited to when your children are sleeping, and, if you feel risky, when they are occupied with something. (I wouldn't know about that one). No time for the frivolous extras in most cases.

If you are anything like me, you have to know that your kids are asleep to truly appreciate the mood and the moment. Otherwise, you keep asking yourself: is the door locked? Did you hear that? Are you sure the door is locked? Hmm, actually, if you are me, you might ask yourself that even if you just checked on your sleeping kids. But, I digress.

Yes, candles. We all like candles. They definitely add to the romantic mood. As the waifing scent of vanilla bean fills the air, the candlelight dancing lightly through your bedroom, your cares slip away and you are ready to...well... you know.

I start to think, as I often catch myself doing during the most inopportune times, about how bright these candles seem to be. Our room seems pretty well lit for the 5 candles strategically placed to create the maximum romantic atmosphere. After an awkward angled look (don't ask), I notice that one candle has a pretty wicked flame. We are talking about a flame to dwarf all flames. Moment of romance is...gone. I spent the rest of the time stealing fervent glances to make sure our house didn't go up in flames. I really didn't want to try to explain why I was in my birthday suit while standing outside with my three kids as the firefighters put out the flames.

After all was said and "done", the blob of wax candle was blown out and the lights turned back on.

Because no evening is complete without it, we spent the next 30 minutes scraping wax out of our carpet and television stand. A romantic finale to end the night.

What I am most grateful for right now: white candles and white carpet
Good news: Found a $10 gift card under the television stand.
Bad news: Found a sewer roach.
Good news: It was dead.
NTH (Note to Husband): Use a candle holder!

4 comments:

Jaylee Draney said...

Ugg, just reading the word 'Sewer Cockroach' hindered any plans I had for tonight.

H said...

Heh, heh, heh...I love the "NTH" idea! I have about 10 blogs in my head under that notation.

Bill said...

ooohh crap! Here we go.....

Jill said...

I know you aren't that "adventurous" but maybe you could of incorporated the candle into the whole scenario. Who doesn't love the feel of hot wax running down their....Ok so I am not one to enjoy that myself. Glad the house didn't burn down. Have fun shopping!