Monday, August 18, 2008

After 3 kids it's all the same

Isn't it interesting how life throws you some interesting curves? Shaunton's sister asked us last week if we would be willing to take her two children and have them stay with us for the next 5 months until she finishes school. (She would have them on weekends and come throughout the week to visit). His sister is 22, single, and has two children, ages 2 and 3. She is going to school right now to be a medical assistant. This is not something I would ever have thought she would ask, or anything I ever thought I would say yes to.

I know that if she doesn't finish now, she might not ever go back and do it. She is in between jobs, and even if she was working, she is going to school during the day and would have to work nights. Daycares aren't open at night. I don't particularly want to have her to kids staying with me, but I do want her to finish school so she can do something better with her life. If it means doing this for her for the next 5 months, then it is worth it.

Granted, her son has thrown two tantrums today, scratched me and his sister, and said "no" so many times I can still hear his voice after he is sleeping. He also kept Shaunton and I up late into the night crying. Poor thing needs time to adjust. Hey, it's not going to be easy.

I plan to work on potty training Davis as soon as I can figure out what it is that he is saying. I still can't understand him...you know, you can really only understand your own kid when they are that little. Serenity (my niece) is so inquisitive and easy to entertain. She spends most of the time by herself, but occasionally interacts with Ember. Age thing is my guess.

I have managed to go grocery shopping (with 4 of them, while Jaxen was in school) without much of a hitch. I did have to tell Davis to sit down (he was in the cart) more times than I can count, but no one cried or threw a fit. I also made a quick trip to Fry's on the way home from getting Jaxen, and that too went well. I had plenty of comments and looks.

That ends day one of How Many Kids Can You Sanely Handle Institute: Try before You Buy Conceive.

6 comments:

Matthew J. said...

Gosh Mo, I didn't realize what a glutton for pain you are! Of course, regardless of how the situation works out ultimately, your blessings from this will come.

Unknown said...

Someone is surely insane in the brain. I guess you beat me. Since you have more at home during the day. I guess I should catch up to you now. lol NOT!

MAGA said...

WELL YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT, DIFFERENT SITUATION OF COURSE, BUT I DO HOPE THAT IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND YOUR SISTER IN LAW DOES FINISH SCHOOL AND GET IT TOGETHER ENOUGH TO RAISE HER CHILDREN, AND I KNOW ALL TOO WELL THE ABOUT THE LOOKS AND REMARKS BUT HEY YOU ARE HELPING OUT YOUR FAMILY SO WHAT IF PEOPLE DONT GET THAT,
HAVING 5 KIDS FULL TIME ALL OF THE SUDDEN IS NOT EASY, AND YA YOU ARE SLIGHTLY NUTS, BUT SEEING HER GRADUATE WILL BE WORTH IT...

Anonymous said...

I had no idea how much you were dealing with. I am so sorry I haven't been there for you lately. If you need me for anything I will be there for you. I guess my work situation paid off for you in the end huh? I really hope this works out. This is going to get very overwhelming I'm sure. You have friends that love and care about you so I hope you use your resources when you need it and not try to be super mom.

Love you lots :)

Anonymous said...

Monique, You are a saint!

FizixMamma said...

Wow, I love the "try before you buy thing". You should put an add in the paper that couples debating having kids can pay $20 to come spend 4 hours at your house so they can make an educated decision