Friday, May 2, 2008

It was an accident

Wednesday night Shaunton and I went shopping for Jaxen's birthday presents. After perusing through the church clothes and bed sheets, we head for the toy isle. What kinda fun would that be to just get stuff you need for your birthday, instead of the stuff you want? Afterward, I threw the bags of gifts into the back of the van and called it a night. We purchased a few additional items that were not birthday related, which were mixed into the bag. I figured I would get them out later. Shaunton went back into the van and got out something out later that night.

On Thursday morning, as I am loading Jaxen up into the van for school, I look through the rear view and see the biggest brightest handsomest winning smile on Jaxen's face. I thought, wow, he must be really excited that I am going to be in his classroom today. My heart swelled a little, yeap, I am a pretty cool mom. But the smile was so darn cute, and so darn long, that I knew it wasn't really for me.

I asked him what was up. Nothing was the reply, the smile still lingering.

"You...happy?" I asked.

"Yes".

Hmm, then it dawns on me. I looked again through the mirror at his huge grin and out of the corner of my eye I see it... Ironhide virtually waving right at me.

Look at me *waving wildly* look at me in this bright package, I'm right here! You know you wanna look!

My muddled mind clears. "Did you see your gifts?" Just when I thought the smile couldn't get any bigger, he radiantly beams and says coyly, "yes".

I let out a sigh, "great now you aren't going to be surprised".

Come to find out, when Shaunton went back into the van, the bags got moved into the line of sight visible to a five-year-old through the crack in the back seat. Jaxen takes a minute to register that I am disappointed that he saw one of his gifts. He somehow manages to wipe that now cheesy grin off his face and tried to look a little glum. I look through the rear view and manage a smile and tell him I know it was an accident and that I am not upset. Mentally noting to give Shaun a hard time for leaving the bags out. Jaxen agrees that it was an accident...and then... proceeds to look through the crack.

What?!

*Clearing throat* "Hey you, um, the first time was an accident, now you are doing it on purpose!"

"Oh, sorry mom. I don't know what Transformer is it." I told him it was just a box, and if he didn't forget what it was I would take it back. (I know, mean huh?)

So the rest of the way to school Jaxen says, "I am going to read all the signs and look at all the cars so that I forget what you got me."

As we get into the van after school, he goes on to say slowly, "I think you got me ...Ironhide, but I don't know, that's just what I think". Hmm, the little snot was so sure of himself, I know, that he knows, that I know, that he knows it's Ironhide.

1 comment:

H said...

Bill still remembers how awful his Christmas was the year he opened all his presents BEFORE the actual day. Maybe Jaxen will learn...