Monday, April 28, 2008

Softball..Not for the faint of heart

I keep reading and hearing about all the softball related injuries that occurred this season. Shaunton has had his run in's with the ball, and other softball related objects. But, until this weekend, I never really understood the dangers of softball.

After an excruciating 10 minute wait before the game, wondering if we were going to play, up walks Ethan. Yes, we needed a 9th player, broken back or not. Reluctantly he puts on his shoes sans socks. Socks just hold you back anyway. We told poor Ethan that all he had to do was stand there...on the field, at bat, just make it look good. (Desperate times call for desperate measures!)And did he ever. He got a hit and made it on base. I am sure he is still feeling the pain of all that glory.

Now we have Bill. Bill takes the plate like Babe Ruth (minus the finger pointing) and totally fakes the other team out. He hits it good and takes off toward 1st. Then he is juking to the left....to the right...to the left...what is he doing?!....and then comes the drop and tucked roll into first base. That has got to be the best presentation of a run into first that I have ever seen. I joked around telling him that has got to be the fastest I have ever seen him run, but in all honesty, it was just the first time. I don't know if his brain was running faster than his feet or the other way around, but it was one of those things....you know. He made it look planned.

Then we have Jason. He has to be the skinniest guy out there. He also gets a good hit and books it to first base. He was running like there was a prize at first..and then, to my astonishment, he slides into 1st base...talk about dedication...but he took it even further and slid into second as well. Talk about a show off going after it! Too bad he looked like he sat on something for the rest of the game. LOL

Then we have Matt. Matt and his "magic" gloves. I wonder if he spent anywhere near the $50 my dear husband paid for his glove. I don't know that they helped him that much, but they were pretty flashy. He gets kudos for dressing the part.

Brother Roy also gets kudos for dressing the part, he even had his baseball pants on. He had to be a pro before this, right? He was a pretty good hitter for a pitcher. It was funny to watch him give the ref a hard time when he called balls. I mean, you have to hit a plastic thing the size of a dinner table (might be a slight exaggeration), to get a strike.

Then, there are the pros, like my dear hubby. He got a ball to the leg in the first inning and made a home run in a later inning. I definitely think he was showing off for me. You know I can get the adrenaline pumping. LOL On one occasion he is too focused and practically runs past his own player at second running like a mad man with a rabid dog at his heels. Bill (the man on second) kinda looked at him and was like, either we can stand at second together or you are going to have to go back to first because I am not running to third.

So, I am a soccer mom, and a softball wife. I was probably the loudest one there. Given all the guys a hard time very loud loving words of encouragement. Softball, is definitely a dangerous sport, for those that are older and not as coordinated as they once were (you know, in their prime).

Hey, we lost, but it was a fun game to watch, and you can tell the guys were having loads of fun and plenty of exercise while they were at it. Now, if we can get them to go co-ed, they may never have to forfeit again. Not much we can do about the limping, rolling, bruising and twisted ankles that only a well oiled and coordinated semi-pro men's softball league can acquire. All in a days work.

4 comments:

Matthew J. said...

So, wait, I am not a pro? CRAP!

It is loads of fun. I do wish we could go co-ed. It would mean that we would always have someone helping out with the kids :D

Oh and for the record, I paid $10 for the gloves, and if it means that I look "flashy" for me to protect my hands, I am all for it.

Unknown said...

I was laughing so hard watching Jason and the others hurt themselves. lol I think the team would do a lot better with Women on the team. lol

H said...

Too funny. You should have Bill tell you about the time he slid into shortstop. (I think it was just a rumor, I didn't actually see it.)
Co-ed?! Who needs the men? Didn't we just establish that they suck?!

Bill said...

I wish I could say the falling down was a rare thing, but I have a history of falling down. The tuck and roll was designed not only for your entertainment, but to protect my hands and arms from massive scrapes. I consider it a compliment to be compared to the Sultan of Swat. Next time, maybe I will point. For the record, I was just fine the next day, no scrapes, no pulled muscles, no soreness!