Wednesday, May 7, 2008

All American Boy

I have to start off by saying that I can't believe my little boy is 6 years old! He is growing up so fast. He is doing awesome in school and he also excels at sports. Which, brings me to the topic of this post.

A co-worker of Shaunton's invited Jaxen to be on a t-ball team for free...apparently they don't have enough players. So, after much ado, Jaxen decided that he wanted to give it a try.

We get there early and try to have Jaxen watch the teams that were playing before us. Jaxen is now a "Little Bandito".

Then comes the moment of truth. Jaxen starts off by playing outfield and kinda just stands there (kids can't hit that far...even if they did take in the field). When his team goes up to bat, he hits the ball and runs half way to first base before stopping to set down the bat nicely chucking the bat and running like mad for first. Once on first, his team member hits a ball...Jaxen takes off, with some coaching, toward second...and then tries to get the ball....um, no just run to second! Once there...another hit is made and he starts to run back to first...no, go to third! He finally made it home! That was the first and only time he was confused out there. He took to it like a fish to water...once you take it outta the bag that is.

There were a couple laughs in the stands...but I gave them "the look" and said give him a break, it's his first time playing.

After his adrenaline got pumping, he was ready bring it on to play. He was third baseman, but boy, did he cover the field! I think the soccer instincts were kicking in, baseball is a lot slower physically than soccer. He was grounding balls at first base, by the pitchers mound, second base....you know, where ever the ball was hit, he was right there to try and field it. Who cares that it isn't where he is supposed to be, or that he was even "in the way" of the other players sometimes, he looked so freakin' cute I couldn't help but laugh until my stomach hurt. He always run back quickly to third base ready to do it again hunched is the ready position (instinct I tell you).

He swung the bat well, and made contact on the first try. They let the kids all hit until they make contact with the ball...so there are no "outs" at the plate based on swings. This also means that there is an endless parade of kids rounding the bases. Most of which went the right way around the first time. (Hey, they have had a few games and practices, my son is fresh off bench so-to-speak.)

Overall the first game was a hit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats my little boy! I never played baseball at all when I was little. Mo always said when she was little she was "good". I didn't believe her, but i guess I believe her now, since Jaxen did good. His baseball skills must come from her.

Jill said...

How fun. Did you get any of it on film? We'll have to get together to play sometime!