Friday, May 30, 2008

Down come the ribbons

The yelling from the room is not anything new. Jaxen has turned into the HULK and needs some time to cool off. Another one of those leave-your-sister-alone...turned into don't-talk-back...leads into a go-to-your-room.

While in his room he is screaming from his perch in his loft bed because he lost a ticket for hitting his sister, and lost more by waking up his brother with his screaming. Wails of I don't want to lose tickets, give them back, whine, whine, scream, whine whine....ok, you get the pattern.

I can hear him start talking to himself and wonder what he is up to. The usual, my mommy is mean, I don't like her, I want my dad talk. But, wait a minute, yes, could it be...a new one. Jaxen has decided he is going to run away.

I walk into his room to see him swiftly packing up his beloved toys in his backpack. I ask what he is doing, and he matter of factly tells me that he is running away. I wonder if I should give Diane a call, because Grant's house is where he plans on staying. He then grabs another bag and proceeds to pack his first place ribbon from the science fair, his perfect attendance ribbon, and other life long momentos. Yes, he makes sure to grab the good stuff. Obviously he didn't need to pack clothes, Grant can share right?

I ask what I should do with all his stuff and his says nu'sing because he is coming back. I thought you were running away. Apparently he is just running away for one day.

While his is dragging his feet and pouting I ask if he would like to read a few books before he goes. He said he will read a little bit and then he will run away. Ok, I'll read to you a little bit and then you can go. After a few books, I ask if it was time for him to leave. He smiled and said, "I decided I am not going to leave...are you happy?"

Yes, Sonny, I love you and would miss you too much if you ran away...even if it was only for one day.

Now all I have to do it get him to unpack. If dealing with the HULK that turns my boy green was that easy, I would have it made.

3 comments:

MAGA said...

THATS SO CUTE!!! BUT NOT REALLY ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I THINK ALL MOMS HAVE THAT STORY. BE HAPPY, MY OLDEST WAS GOING TO RUNAWAY TO AZ(WHEN WE LIVED IN CA,)TO HIS TATA. O AND HE WAS ONLY LIKE 4. AND IT AMAZES ME HOW THEY PACK ALL THIER FAVORITE TOYS, NO CLOTHS, NO SNACKS, MINE HAD IT IN HIS HEAD HE WAS GOING TO WALK ALL THE WAY TO AZ. KIDS ARE CRAZY AND CUTE ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Jill said...

That is crazy! Guess its all in the world of parenthood. I like how you diffused him and let him make the choice to stay. I would of loved to have seen the backpack. I wonder what my kids would take...

Bill said...

It amazes me how quickly kids can go from irrational to logical. Impressive way to handle it! I think moms are better at handling that situation. My mom would have been calm, explained what would be involved in actually running away, and talked me out of it. My dad would have either beat my but or packed my stuff! Either way, lots of yelling would have taken place.