Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring cleaning

Yesterday I tossed out 61 bags...of milk. *sigh* That is 481 ounces of white gold.... 3.76 gallons of the sweet nectar of life. Gone. I chucked them, ceremonially, into the trash. Figured I probably couldn't compost it. This isn't the first deep freezer cleaning, back in November I had a going away party for 81 bags of milk = 620 ounces = 4.8 gallons. Add it up folks, that is over 8 gallons. Good thing I still have about half a freezer full, so it made it a little easier to get rid of.

On another note I was called to be a visiting teacher yesterday. I accepted. But something has been lingering on my mind since accepting the call. I have two wonderful visiting teachers now, they are older, and I can count on seeing them every month. They both are nice, come and chat for a while, give the lesson, and are on their way. They say hello at church and are just overall nice women.

I guess what bothers me, (forgive the ramblings of my mind, but I had to spew this somewhere) is that I have had other visiting teachers in the past whom I had thought were more than just visiting teachers, I considered them really good friends. I felt we were really good together, we talked about things, like friends, and hung out on more occasions than just visiting teaching visits. Then, when I needed them most (just after having Owen) they were gone. Come to find out they were reassigned. :( I didn't get a call to break the news, just a card in the mail saying essentially, "oh ya, by the way, we aren't your visiting teachers anymore". Now we just pass the pleasantries. Were we just friends because they were my visiting teachers? Now that they aren't they have better things to do? This really has nothing to do with them, per se, I guess I had invested more into our relationship then they had noticed.

Really not trying to bash here, all of my visiting teachers were/are wonderful women, just makes me wonder if we give other people false hope on friendships with things like visiting teaching, offering to babysit, sitting next to them and talking to them at a mommy and me, chatting it up in the mothers lounge, that sort of thing. I have had the pleasure of visiting teaching some of you that read this blog and I would hope that you wouldn't say that you have noticed the same trend out of me when my calling has lead me elsewhere. Then again, maybe, once again, I have invested more into our relationship then you realize, or vice versa.

Or...maybe I am just loony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're just looney.

H said...

Just kidding. That last one was me too! I think when we get reassigned in VTing or in callings we just loose track of where we used to be. I had so many friends in my YW calling, and in my RS calling that I don't email chat with or see anymore...gosh, now I'm all the way down the hall with the Primary kids! Although it seems dumb, we loose close contact with those people because of where we are in our life at the moment. The Lord redirects our efforts, and if we tried to keep up with everything and everyone that we had in every calling or VTing assignment we really would go looney. Right now I am so fully absorbed in 5-6 year old life that I couldn't imagine trying to help with an Enrichment meeting. It was completely the opposite when I was in RS. We are "assigned" to be friends with people in the loosest sense of the word. It is the RS way of keeping track of all the sisters and having someone to contact when they have a concern. I bet in some way the change in your VTing was inspired by someone and was a benefit to someone as well. I'm sad if you felt/feel slighted. We all do stupid things and we never know everything that is going on in other people's lives. Now, you just have to be the best VTer ever! :)

You have a very valid point that Bill has thought of often in regards to home teaching and reassignments.

Friends come and go, even when we are all in the same circle. Just because I didn't talk to someone today at length doesn't mean that they smell or anything. Sometimes it takes a keen eye and heart to catch that it is my hangup and not someone elses. If you have questions on this, talk with Sara, she's pretty perceptive.

Jill said...

I have to agree with H. I would add that if you don't have to stop being a visiting teacher or friend just because you have been reassigned. You may not have to report every month but if you make yourself available and willing for the friendships than you can rely on those even if you don't talk on a regular basis. I completely understand how you feel. Greg has complained about those things too. In the end all that counts is that you fulfilled your calling to the best of your ability. To some it means just going every month to say you did. To others it is bringing a gift or something extra with you to add to the spirit. Be the kind of v.t. you want and you will be fulfilled in so many ways. Maybe its the example of how others were that encourages us to keep visiting. Don't know. Just keep the faith. Best of luck!

Unknown said...

I think you're loony...but I don't think that has anything to do with this post...so... what was I gonna say? Don't really remember...I think you get what you pay for so start paying more attention and maybe you get more. ha ha lol

jk I think you analyze things too much.

Heather Weir said...

Hi Monique,

I spoke with Shaunton about this at the softball game. A friend of mine is doing a Christian Photo Shoot and needs some kids that are not white. I thought your kids would be perfect. If you are interested look at my blog and go to my friend Helen Robson's blog. she has details of what she's ;looking for and an email addres to send sample pictures of your kids the shoot is Friday so send them soon if you are interested.