Saturday, April 26, 2008

Taking a breather

Yesterday, as we are playing yet another round of ponies and superheroes, Jaxen proceeds to have a super hero jump on top of a T-Rex to "take it out". Out of no where he starts crying (the superhero) " Oh, my tentacles, I cracked my tentacles". I look up from my in depth conversation between Belle (me) and Snow White (Syd) about the hotness of Superman and who got to kiss him. Come to find out tentacles have nothing to do with Octopuses or Doc Oc, they have to do with testicles. I think everyone makes that mistake.

I also found out from my son that I am "kinda smart". This after I tell him how smart he is while helping me put something together.

Today we went to Jaxen and Ember's soccer game. They were tearing it up out there. The passing was good and they were playing together, rather than half the time against each other. It ended up a tie, but Shaun and I agree that the other team kept playing (under the coaches direction) after time so they could catch up. (This is the only team that has beaten us before.) Yes, apparently I am one of those moms. I really get into the game. Although, I will point out that another parent (won't be naming any names, but look for subtle clue) on the team is convinced that we can put together a super team with Jaxen, Jacob, Grant, Justin S. (don't even know if his parents know he is being drafted), and some other key players...he is hand picking them. LOL Maybe Ember can be second string...unless we start a cheer leading quad. Yes, us soccer parents are an elite group...hand picking 4-6 year old players. Try outs will begin in two weeks. Experience desired, but we will train.

Afterward we headed off to Shaunton's work to "celebrate" Earth Day. Nothing like beautifying the Earth at 90 degree temperatures. We walked a stretch of street picking up trash....along one side we had a mote with several dams of tree branches and trash. After completing the assignment, I am pretty sure I had enough tire tread to make a new tire, wire to rewire my speakers, at least 40 cents worth of cans, a pair of underwear, or at least what was left of it...elastic and seams "gently" used men's underwear, 3 shoes, part of a pink pinata sans candy,...and that's just the good stuff! I should mention here that we had little grabbers, so we didn't have to use our hands.

I took the sling for Owen and carried him for a good amount of time. As soon as I hand him off to Shaun (who used the sling for the first time today), there was someone driving up to take his picture. I am sure they were like, ohhhh *insert sigh here*, a dad gently carrying around his precious son in his arms while he picks up trash to save the Earth...how cute. (Ok, it was kinda cute.) We participated today so that our kids could be involved...and, they were good at holding up the hills on the side of the road and playing with dirt. Jaxen did start helping toward the end. Ember was the supervisor apparently, and wasn't willing to get her hands dirty.

Now it's time to relax and get ready for the softball tournament this evening.

What I am listening to right now? Ember crying for me because she doesn't want to wipe her own butt. She wants me to do it. I told her she has to do it herself because she is a big girl.
"FINE! Then I'm staying on here for-ever because I am not wiping my own butt!" I wonder how long forever is going to be?

5 comments:

Jill said...

You soccer moms are all the same. Crazy cliques of superiority! Its great to hear the kids are doing so good with it.
So you pick up other peoples trash on earth day. What else do you granola types do? Actually I am really impressed with your example for your kids (and me).

Matthew J. said...

It was very funny to hear you tell it. I have never made any mistake between my testicles and my tentacles.

Then again, I have never jumped on a T-Rex to "take it down".

Mo, I love hearing these stories both in your blog and in person.

Thank you for being a wonderful friend and a great neighbor too!

Unknown said...

How long was forever?????? Huh Huh How long did she last???

Monique said...

B~
She was on for a good 20 minutes before she finally relented. I gave her encouragement and help (you know.. hand/butt coordination). (I offered to help before, but she just wanted me to do it.)

H said...

"Mo-om, come he-ear!" I like to see how many times she can call from the bathroom before she starts getting annoyed. It's hilarious that she can sit there with her butt in the air for so long :) I haven't tackled the, "do it yourself" conversation yet.