Sunday, November 18, 2007

How many ounces in a gallon?

The answer is 128.

Why such the random question? Well, it really isn't that random. I cleaned out my deep freezer today...because I had no room for food (we don't have any room in our side freezer for that matter)! Is it full of food already? Nope, it was full of milk....breast milk. Seriously, the only food in the deep freezer was: 1 pack of bacon, 1 half salmon, about 10 corndogs, and a box of push ups buried somewhere on the bottom.

Yes, I was attached...didn't want to get rid of it...and for good reason. As mentioned in my previous post I spend 2 hours each day working for that stuff...not to mention the time it takes to prep and clean up afterward!

Long story short...I pump still (see previous post) and what I pump in a day is used fresh for Owen's bottles the next day. So I haven't been freezing BM for the past few days and haven't used any out of the freezer. Yes, I know I am a milk making machine!

Here was the debate: Buy a new bigger freezer....or *cringe* get rid of some milk. We were leaning toward the freezer, but decide that in the long run the freezer we have is big enough for our family --- sans the BM.

So I went through it today and tossed out all the milk dated prior to 9/20. Here is where the random question becomes useful.

Here is the grand total of what was tossed (yes...I know what you are thinking, it was a lot so I did sit down and count it all out, LOL):

81 bags of milk = 620 ounces = 4.8 gallons

WOW. *sigh* It was hard to let those precious bags go. But, I can't donate it (due to blood transfusion) and going without food is not an option. So *gulp* the deed is done, no going back now.

On another note, my deep freezer is still half full of milk, so I still have "a bit" to work with....and my side freezer is BM free!!!! YEAH. Maybe now we can actually buy some food and not try to fit it into the freezer like TETRIS pieces!

2 comments:

H said...

Mo, you crack me up! How long did it take you to pump all that? That's insane and I probably would have cried. Too bad you couldn't just thaw it out and let Shaun put it on his morning cereal. :)

Monique said...

H, It was 20 days worth of pumping...my two hours each day....so about 40 hour worth of work down the drain...literally. :(