Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Break Vacation: March 10, Day 3


Our closest traveling destination yet, the San Diego Zoo.

We got to sleep in a little because we didn't have to drive to far to get to the zoo.

It is amazing how much more different other zoo's are compared to ours. It seems the animals are all right up close and the habitats seem much more natural.

There are tons more animals there then at our zoo. I think their weather might be a little more kinder to the animals. One thing I liked is that each sign about the animals had a scale that showed if it was in danger of becoming extinct and why. The kids enjoyed hearing about each animal and why it was endangered.

Jaxen's favorite part of the zoo was taking all the funny pictures in the big wooden cut outs of the animals. He liked the porcupines and the snakes as well. Funny thing, the porcupines were close enough to touch, in the kids section of the zoo...um hello, a little dangerous.

Ember's favorite part was the petting zoo. They had goats, sheep and miniature ponies. You would think it wouldn't be that big of a deal, she sees sheep and goats all the time on the rez, but the ponies made all the difference.

Owen's favorite part was getting to walk. He also really liked sticking his head in the holes and saying cheee....for his picture.

The zoo is crazy. One minute you are walking up a mountain to see the polar bears and the next your are going into a canyon to see the aviary. It has some very steep inclines and declines. Nice workout....definitely something you feel the next day....unless you have a nice huge jacuzzi tub at home waiting for you.

My little monkey.

2 comments:

H said...

I still remember going to the San Diego Zoo, in high school, while on tour with the orchestra/band/choir. You are right, FABULOUS! I was in awe of the giraffes there. Our Phoenix Zoo has improved greatly since then (20 years ago?!), and I'm glad to say I enjoy our giraffes now.
Were you insinuating that you had a nice big jacuzzi to rest your muscles in when you got back to your room?! Nice!

Unknown said...

Nice. I guess I need to catch up on Zoos around the U.S. and not just this one. Nice pictures I like Shaun in the giraffe hole. he he
P.S. I just noticed that your blog updates are not on my list the last one I have is for day 2. So I wonder whats wrong with my thingy.