Sunday, October 26, 2008

What to eat

I need recipes! I wanted to come up with 14 different recipes for dinners we could have for our year supply food storage. Each meal being made 26 times in the course of the year. Hence, saving up the supplies to make said meal and have on hand. This would be storage that would not be rotated on a regular basis, but essentially left alone and checked once a year. Rotating only when expiration is nearing.

I have a ton of recipes my family loves...so why is it so darn hard to come up with 14 recipes for the year supply menu? Hm, could it be many of the recipes call for fresh or frozen vegetables? or heavy whipping cream? or tortillas? or cheese...lots and lots of cheese? (I guess I better get cracking on my tortilla making skills).

I can think of a lot of crap (for lack of a better term) food I could use in my food storage. It would be easy to buy 12 boxes of Hamburger Helper and 12 pounds of ground beef and call it good. (I could even by different flavors!) While I am at it, I will grab 12 tuna helpers and 12 chicken helpers (never even tried those). I make these once in a blue moon. But I am sure they can sustain life for a year, can't be too picky right? Hm, OK, that takes care of 3 recipes. Three down, nine to go. Unless I decide to buy 12 of each flavor, and then I may not need to worry about any other recipes. I have fish, beef and chicken...what more do you need?

Seriously though, I would appreciate thoughts and or suggestions on meals. I have some easier recipes: spaghetti, chicken w/black beans, chicken and rice, maybe beef Manhattans. That is about it on the "easy ingredient" ones. Still trying to figure out my way around some of the other more "ingredient rich" recipes and how/if I can store what I need to make it.

Haven't even thought of breakfast or lunch! Deep breath, deep breath. Someone toss me a life raft, I'm drowning.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Wendy DeWitt talked about a canned cheese which is supposed to be just like the cheddar you buy at the store. I'm going to buy some soon. I think Helena just ordered some so I asked her if I could try a sample before I spend a ton of money on cheese. Did I give ever give you my menus? I know you need the recipes but you didn't tell me which recipes you wanted. Let me know and I will try to help as best as I can. I think I 've solved most of my problems with fresh ingredients, etc. Let me know specifically what is troubling you and I'll let you know what I did to replace those tricky ingredients.

H said...

The cheese came in last week, I'll sell you one if you want to try it. It's about $2.30 for an 8oz can. It says "processed cheese" on it but supposedly it's shreddable and very similar to cheddar, nothing like Velveta :) I haven't tried it yet.

Soups and chili are good for food storage too. Canned veggies aren't great, but they are veggies.

proud parents said...

I've developed a menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a year using your years supply. I'll have to dig it out for you.

proud parents said...

Oh yeah, and I wouldn't buy the hamburger helper stuff. You could buy a bag of noodles and a packet of seasoning and get twice the volume for half the price (and essentially quadruple your savings). Plus, your meals will be a little more flexible in terms of size and variety. If it came out of a box, not so much luck!

proud parents said...

Last one! Emergency Essentials sells all sorts of different kinds of freeze-dried, dehydrated, shredded, etc. cheeses--if you're willing to pay the price! (About $40 for a #10 can). Yikes! But you can check it out at beprepared.com. High-quality stuff.

proud parents said...

I mean it this time! (Sorry to post so much on your blog) You can always freeze your own cheeses.

Unknown said...

We had chili and beef stew in ours we even put corn bread boxes in there. I cant think of what else.