Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One good reason to live in AZ

I knew there was a reason I live is sunny Arizona! I have spent a lot of time lately wondering what I am going to do for energy if something were to happen to our standard forms. I thought alot about propane (and propane accessories...think King of the Hill). I have thought about gasoline. Storage space, storage life, and safety are the issues I am grappling with.

I have been spending more time and money lately on food storage (no time like the present to prepare for the inevitable future), and then it dawned on me that if I don't have power, I have no way to cook all this food. Can anyone say hard pinto beans and wheat?

Crystal was nice enough to loan me a DVD forever ago on a food storage presentation given by DeWitt. DeWitt mentioned the solar oven briefly in her presentation. That was the answer. I knew I needed one. Granted, this pretty thing wasn't cheap, but with sunny weather 360 days of the year, what better way to cook/bake/broil and have a back up enery source to use that food storage during tough times. (That, and it came with a roasting pot, two loaf pans, and a water purification indicator. Nice perks.)

Tada ---------> (Isn't it cool!)


I can't wait to try it out! No more hot kitchens in the summer (and less money on cooling the house down after cooking those meals). No burnt food. From what I hear, incredible flavor. Hmm, any volunteers to come use it with me?

Ok, you know you all want one now. *wink, wink*

10 comments:

Jill said...

Way cool. Very "space age" looking. You will have to have a BBQ style dinner for us all to share in your new oven. Being solar powered how long does it actually take to cook something? Is this an all day effort for dinner or something that can be done in 20 minutes?

April said...

I've been eyeing that thing for a very long time but cannot bring myself to spend the money. Ryan keeps promising to make one. We have a book all about solar cooking and there are plans in it to make your own. I'm hoping that once he makes ours we can do a ward event wherein we focus on emergency preparedness and make our own solar ovens. And, yes, I'm jealous! (And, yes, you bought the right feathers and they are for quills. Perfect! Thank you! One more thing to cross off my list.)

M said...

That thing looks way neato! I'll help ya figure it out. Can we make brownies in it?

Crystal said...

I am soooo jealous!!! I've been wanting to get one of those forever! How much was it and where did you get it? I keep saying I am going to get one for Christmas. I am there to try it out with you just say when!
Crystal

H said...

Uh, hello?! Been wanting once since the DeWitt presentation. Link please so I can send it to my mom for Christmas. Did yours come with the cool case that lets you wheel it around to demonstrations and to friend's houses (hint, hint) What's a "pento bean"? heh, heh. And I'm glad you bought feathers since I bought the pens ages ago and just today thought, "hey, I wonder if we're still making quills?"

H said...

Seriously, my verificaton word was

"blesses"

That means you will blesses me with a solar dinner...

H said...

Seriously, where do you get your verification words? The last one was

"transgurp"

It sounds like I just threw up that meal! Thanks anyway.

Unknown said...

Nice! I am jealous too. Looks cool. Cook me some yummy cookies or chocolate or something yummy. No dinner foods aloud! ha ha lol

FizixMamma said...

Oooh, very nice. When we lived there we made one (cardboard box, black paint, tinfoil, clear plastic lid from a poster frame) cheap. We even used it a few times, but once we didn't start it early enough and it was gooey in the middle, yuck. We found the instructions and recipeis online. It worked great until we were gone for the day and there was a typhoon and it was on the back porch. So if you make one out of cardboard don't forget and leave it outside!

Anonymous said...

Invite me over! It's forever been on my wishlist!