Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Garden Update

My garden looked all nice and green. I was excited about the prospect of eating something out of my garden. Then. It dawned on me. Those sprouts are not really growing where I planted them. They seem to be clustered together. Hmm. Which reminds me, they sure do look an awful lot like what grows in the compost bin.

Cantaloupe. We are growing nothing but cantaloupe. OK, exaggeration...kind of. We do have some beans growing and the tomato plants survived the transplant. I already ate one juicy cherry tomato. At this rate, I won't get to use them in anything, they will just go into my mouth as soon as they turn red. I sure hope they grow and ripen faster than one at a time.

One of the lavender plants survived too. I also have some cucumber sprouts. That's it. Just when I thought my thumb was turning green.

Oh yea, speaking of that. My wonderful looking watermelon didn't make it. I looked just the other day and it has a big black soft spot. :(

I will keep watering and hoping for some growth.

I have little tiny green sprouts in the flower bed. I think they might be the flowers? I am tired though, of going out every morning to water to find a "present" from the friendly neighborhood cat. I have a whole front yard of dry dirt, but no, they have to go in the wet two foot strip that I am trying to grow stuff in. I despise cats...at least the outdoor do-what-ever-I-want kind.

4 comments:

M said...

hehe, I'll send my cat "the one that acts just like a dog" over to your house to scare off the "do whatever I want" cats :P

H said...

Cats are what ended my last attempt at a garden. Now I have dogs to scare them away, but the dogs tromp through the garden.

Jill said...

Totally agree with you and the cats. If you find anything that works to keep them out let me know. I seem to attract strays to no end. Hope your garden keeps doing good.

FizixMamma said...

I haven't tried these myself but in my plants classes in college they told us to mix cyanne pepper and water and to spray the area with it. You can do the same thing with citrus oils and water. But when it rains you have to spray again. Cats really don't like cirtus so maybe you can bury peels in your garden and the effect will last longer, sort of composting too.