Saturday, June 28, 2008

$17 bought me...

8 oranges
8 bananas
at least two pounds of red grapes
3 huge beets
1 eggplant
2 bunches of green onions
2 heads of romaine lettuce
5 medium yellow squash
6 kiwi
1 cantaloupe
6 nectarines
4 plums
about 1 lb mushrooms

All of the food was certified organic or locally grown, looked fresh, and was still cold when it got home. Nothing looked old or over ripe, in fact some of the fruit (bananas and cantaloupe) can sit on the counter for a little longer because they have a little bit longer before the big slice!

Interestingly enough, Shaunton didn't know what the eggplant was...although I think most people would have a hard time naming it. I have never personally bought eggplant, mushrooms (eew), or beets. So, if anyone has a great recipe that involves those any of those three things pass it on this way.

Overall, I was pleased with my first basket from the co-op. If you are interested you can go to Bountiful Baskets and check out what they have to offer. The also do bread baskets, and other interesting things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I use mushrooms in my Cacciatore. Jason said you can make eggplant parmigiana.

H said...

Oh please, even Bill could identify an eggplant...when I buy it he says, "you're not cooking that for me are you?!"
I've been thinking of using Bountiful Baskets for a while, I'm glad you took the plunge first.