Friday, July 16, 2010

Blankets and Quilts

This year, I made all the kids a blanket/quilt for their birthday. Not that any of them can use them right now...but when the winter comes they will be excited to use them.

Jaxen's quilt has a soccer theme. I also asked him what his favorite colors were and that is where the other colors come in. It is twin size and the backing is an orange fleece. If I could do it over again, I might add another fabric with print instead of all solid colors.
Ember's was the easiest to plan. She loves dogs and cats, so I knew that would be her theme. The fabric was easy to find, but one decided to shrink more than others in the wash, so I had to downsize the quilt a bit because I wasn't willing to buy more. It is a little smaller than a twin size. The backing is a cream fleece.
I hate to waste anything, so I wanted to find a way to use the left over fleece from the other quilts. Kaysen's blanket used the remnants from Jaxen's quilt. It ended up being about 48"x50-something. A pretty good size. We went with the monster print because that is his nickname to some members of our family. It is just a fleece on fleece blanket. The backing is the remnants sewn together with the top panel. No fringe, just sewn right sides together, flipped out, and another border edging.
Owen's blanket is made with Ember's remnant fleece. It is bigger than Kaysen's because Ember's blanket was smaller than Jaxen's. Real life word problem, right? Anyway, he LOVES Toy Story, so I sent Shaun to pick out some fleece to make this blanket. It ended up being 48"x60", give or take an inch. Same deal as Kaysen's on the put together.

I am so glad to be done with them though. I belted out one a month for the past four months. Some easier than others, but all the same, I am a little burnt out. I plan to take a break and work on my scrap-booking...which has not stopped piling up.

3 comments:

Carianne said...

These turned out great! Now you just need to make a big one for your bed!

Unknown said...

I love them all! Whoo Hoo! You did it now you can breath and relax with scrap booking.

MAGA said...

Amazing, something I would like to do but don"t know where to even start! but they all came out amazing!!