Sunday, March 21, 2010

Humble

Nothing feels better than knowing they are listening.

Today was my day to teach the Young Women. My lessons were on Patriarchal Blessings and Father's Blessings. We covered both and why they are important. It was a very good lesson. We all shared experiences and thoughts about the topics.

I challenged the girls to pray about their own Patriarchal Blessings and when it would be appropriate for them to get theirs. I also told them to think about how they can use the Priesthood for their benefit. I encouraged them to go to their fathers, or other priesthood holders, to ask for blessings as they feel so inclined in their lives. There aren't any restrictions on how many or for what reason to get these blessings. They are there for us, hence the word blessings.

I had one young woman share that she wondered how it felt to be the one giving a blessing. She has felt the Spirit as her father gave these blessings, but always wondered what her father felt and thought. I encouraged her to ask him.

As I came home today I pondered to myself if this young woman would follow through on asking her dad. Debated with myself on whether I would follow up with her later in the week with a phone call.

As I was washing up after dinner, I received a phone call. It was unexpected. It was from a father who wanted to thank me for doing such a good job on the lesson today. His daughter came to him and asked for a Father's Blessing, which in turn trickled down to all of the siblings into the family lining up to get theirs.

I mentioned her thought in class. He said that she did indeed asked him the question, and they talked about it for a while. I was overwhelmed with joy. It was so neat to know that the spirit can work through us as teachers as we worth with the youth. The Spirit can testify of the truths being learned, touch them deeply and leave them yearning to find out more.

I am thankful for my calling in Young Women's and for the opportunity I have to work with such intelligent, fun, spiritually intuitive young women. I have already learned so much from them and look forward to learning so much more together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh that's so cool Monique! I am glad you are there to teach those young women you are a great example!

H said...

I heard the lesson went well. Sorry I missed it!

proud parents said...

I love this. Thank you for sharing. I miss those girls.