Friday, March 26, 2010

Good communication

I have been working on personal progress the last few weeks. It is Divine Nature #3. I was supposed to improved my home life and strengthen my relationship with a family member. I had an obvious person in mind, but decided to go ahead and work to strengthen my relationship with each of my children. I would do this by really listening to them. Drop everything, look them in the eyes, and listen. I tried to show my children how much they mean to me and do little things that show it.

Let them take baths instead of running them assembly-line-like though the shower. Owen and Kaysen appreciated the splash time. I also ended up with a soaked floor mat each time. But they were happy, and it showed, and it made me slow down and be happy with them. I also noticed that when I took the time to listen before getting upset about a choice they had made, they almost always had a logical enough reason for what they did.

Well, to get to the point. I am sure glad that is over and I can get back to listening to my children while I cook dinner, check homework and chew gum. Multitask listening is so in. Just kidding. You thought I was serious, didn't you?

Well, on the note of communication and showing love I have this little story. I tend to write the kids little notes and put them in their lunch boxes. They really like them.

I go to make Ember's lunch this morning and this was in her lunchbox.

It says: "Mom I luv you, Ember"

It has to be one of the sweetest things she has done for me. She does love me!

2 comments:

H said...

Logic, huh? Damn those kids.

Sweet note! Treasure it always.

Unknown said...

I love this! Ember is so cute!