Thursday, February 18, 2010

Determined

I have decided that Ember has got to be one of the most determined and opinionated five year old girl I know.

She never shies away from telling you something, even if it hurts your feelings. I don't think she is trying to be mean. She is just honest. Honesty can hurt.

She is quick to tell you how she feels about something. This conversation is almost always at an elevated pitch involving wild arm and facial gestures. This pitch and gesture goes for happy conversations and...not so happy ones. She only has one volume...LOUD.

Ember is determined to get her way. She tries to test the rules and gets frustrated when they stand.

(Sitting at the table)
Me: Ember, go get dressed and I will make you breakfast.
E: Fine, I will just sit here until you get my breakfast.
Me: Ember, go get dressed and I will make you breakfast. You clothes are on your bed.
E: I don't want to get dressed first.
Me: You are going to be one hungry girl at school today in her pajamas.
E: Fine, but I am getting dressed in here!
(She proceeds to bring her clothes into the kitchen. She starts getting undressed and complains about how cold it is. Of course it's cold, it is tile and not carpet.)

She is very sensitive to sounds and textures. I have many a morning with itchy socks that don't "feel right". She covers her ears for the vacuum. She doesn't like the sound of balloons or anything else loud that might pop (makes Independence Day interesting).

I ask myself...was I this willful as a child? Did I give my mom a run for her money? Was my mom glad I was the only girl? Did I pick a name that encouraged her strong attributes?

These are negative by any means...unless I am in a battle of wills. Otherwise, these are characteristics we want our girls to have in their future (maybe a little less hurtful honesty).

We had a rough night last night. Ember didn't want to sit still or have anything to do with Scripture Study. If Jaxen listens, she teases him, to make him feel bad. It makes him mad. So, long story short, after several redirection attempts she was put into her room until after scripture study. You could hear her crying and talking about how much she doesn't like her mom and dad.  She came out, had a slice of bread with peanut butter and brushed her teeth. Went to bed, hugs and kissing, fell asleep quickly.

She wakes up in the middle of the night to go pee. She is half asleep. As Shaun is walking her back to bed she says, I don't like you mom and dad. Nice.

She wakes up this morning. I like you mom, I just didn't like you last night.

She's over it.

1 comment:

H said...

Um. Sounds familiar. This is one time I can honestly say, "I know how you feel." I could repost this on my blog and replace the name Ember with Tasha. All I know is that we keep/get them on the straight and narrow path and as teenagers there ain't nothing gonna take them down. Go girls!