Sunday, July 26, 2009

You think I would have it figured out by now...

Ember starts kindergarten this year. I am really torn on whether to put her in full day or half day. I am at home all day, and have a degree in education, so it isn't like I need her to be in kindergarten all day. What would you do? I have listed some pros and cons of each. Let me know what you would do if you were in my spot. Can you think of any other pros and cons?

Full Day
Pros
-Is at the same school as Jaxen.
- school schedule: 8:50-3:30
-One car trip in the morning, carpooling with another family.
-Won't have to cart a newborn around.
-She wants to go to "Jaxen's school".
Cons
-My niece went full day and she was exhausted by the end of the day and would fall asleep around 5.
- Not sure if it is really enough transition from preschool two hours two days a week to full day every day.
-She will be in school the rest of her life, does she really need to go full day for kindergarten?

Half Day
Pros
-She could play with Owen in the afternoons.
-Easier transition...she didn't go to preschool but for two hours two days a week.
-Jaxen went half day. (I know all children are different, but I felt it was good for him.)
-She knows most of her alphabet and sounds and can count to 30 easily and can write her name. So it isn't like she is going in with nothing. (Yes, some children go in with nothing.)
-I could supplement at home.
Cons
-8:25-11:50 (give or take) The time isn't bad, see next con.
-Two trips a day (Once in the morning dropping of her and then Jaxen) and another to pick her up around lunch. Both trips done before 12 AM making for a busy morning.
-Different school.

3 comments:

M said...

Well whatever you decide let me know how I can help since I will be there to get Damion anyway :)

Jill said...

I think you have covered all the pro's and cons. Would Ember be able to handle it? We put Adam in a year early because he was bored and getting into trouble. It turned out to be one of our better decisions. He has far surpassed our expectations for such a little guy. There were struggles (very tired by days end, didn't want to do homework, etc) He adjusted very well as would Ember. You know what Ember is capable of. What does she want?

H said...

I'd go with full day if she won't be too exhausted by the end of the week. Take it from someone that's done the 2 schools for 2 kids w/ a half day... it's a mess and you get no rest. I couldn't imagine doing it with 2 younger children at home, but that's just me. I think the biggest thing to consider is whether or not she can be gone all day without losing it.

Can I tell you that I'm secretly THRILLED that you haven't decided yet?! Mrs. Plan and Prepare isn't registerd and ready for the new school year yet. Heh, heh. I'm so evil, and yet oh so proud of you!