Thursday, July 2, 2009

I am so glad...

that I am not famous. I am not a huge MJ fan (he has some really good songs), but I feel bad for the guy. I have been thinking about this a lot since there really is no escaping the media on this.

Most of us are lucky enough to pass on due to old age and have those we love surround us. For others, something tragic maybe, but we are still remembered lovingly by our family and loved ones and our life is celebrated.

Most of us are not put under a microscope and our whole life analyzed over and over again. Every misdeed, every error, every questionable judgment reviewed again and again. I mean, even those of us who didn't live the best lives, who weren't the best people to those around us, who weren't the best mother/father/sister/brother/friend have the ability to die and move on without the recap, at least a very public one.

I guess it just got me thinking that I am glad that I don't have to worry about such a national public outing of my life in review. The good, the bad, and even, the ugly. My family will get to remember me and celebrate my life.

I guess you could say it boils down to choices, but even then, we all make choices, and most of us don't have to have each one covered by the national media. I guess you could say it goes with the territory of being a celebrity, but then, isn't everyone deserving of some privacy and respect once they die, no matter what the cause may or may not be? No matter how they chose to live their life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing just the other day. I look at it like If your Grandma was mean all the time and then she dies would you still talk mean about her or would you say nice things about her since she was dead?

H said...

Sadly, some people make more money after they die so their heirs don't mind a bit when they are trashed and get attention after their death.

I will say that being without internet and only watching Disney station has kept me MJ free... except for all the people that keep bringing it up because THEY can't avoid the media on the topic. It seems as if everyone is sick of hearing/reading/seeing him in the public eye so I wonder how it is that it is still on everywhere.

Bridget, at the cranky grandmother's funeral they would talk nice about her, but then they would tell the truth after the fact.