Friday, June 12, 2009

Turning Five

Five years ago today I was laboring to bring my little girl into the world. Again, I was induced at 42 weeks. Apparently, I have a really comfy womb. This time, the labor was faster (10 hours) and she was born without an epidural. (Trust me I was screaming for one come 9 centimeters!) She was born with a full head of black hair and chubby cheeks and weighed 8 lbs even (and born at 10 PM on the dot).I was very nervous about having two little ones, and lucky for me, Ember made the transition easy. She was a very good sleeper.

It was so fun doing her hair up in little pony tails and dressing her up all frilly. Now, I can hardly keep her still long enough to throw her hair in a ponytail. Even when I do, it starts falling out 10 minutes later.Ember has loved animals ever since she was little. She has been into ponies for the last couple of years (three out of the last four birthdays have been pony themed). She has also really gotten into dogs and cats. She loves to pretend she is a dog, wants to wear a leash (a couple of necklaces linked together) and have someone be her "owner". Because she can't read, I can tell you that we got her one of those kiddie leashes that go on like a backpack and have a tail for the parent to hold. She really wants one, and we figure it is the safest "collar" out there for a five year old. Maybe we can use if to Baby #4 or Owen later.

Ember is very easy to play with because she tells you what to say, whatever the game is. Mom, pretend I did this and you said...all I have to do is repeat whatever she says. Nice.

She loves to swim at Chandler pool and would go every day if I would drive her. I would be tempted to take her every day if I wasn't a whale about to give birth with an almost two year old with a broken finger who can't get wet. (Sponge baths anyone?)

She loves tape, and if she can't find tape, she uses stickers to "tape" things together. She also loves to wrap presents, which is usually something she finds in her room and wraps with the paper that I have left over from wrapping something else. If she doesn't have any wrapping paper, she creates her own out of the used recycle paper dad brings home from work. Some presents I have been blessed to receive are: the crayon container, colored pencils, ponies, cars, and books.

Ember loves her brother (Owen) so much it hurts sometimes (to be Owen that is). She is always barking in his face (she is a dog you know) and tugging on his clothes. She means well, and has taught me a lot about letting Owen grow up without coddling him. But, she just doesn't seem to get that when he gets annoyed, the sounds he makes are loud and annoying. I try to tell her that is his way of telling her he doesn't like what she is doing. My logic doesn't make sense apparently.When they do play together, I love to watch them interact. She is so loving and he loves to be like her. He always wears the hugest smile and his laugh is so hearty. The three of them together is magic (that doesn't happen often enough).
As I prepare for Baby #4, I thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with my daughter in the midst of all the testosterone He has sent my way. She is the only one I have, but He knew that we would create a relationship and bond that was perfect for just the two of us. I can't believe my little girl is five!

Happy Birthday Ember! I love you!

2 comments:

H said...

OK, seriously, is most of this a 5 year old girl thing or were Tasha and Ember seperated pre-womb/birth and are really supposed to be twins? The tape, wrapping presents, telling you exactly what to do/say when you play, the love of dogs, and even the love of ponies which I just haven't encouraged or we would probably be in the same boat on that one as well. You sound like you have a better attitude about all of it though so I'll try to get to that place the next time she uses a roll of tape wrapping me a present of air in a box bigger than a laundry basket.

H said...

OH, and HAPPY BDAY to Ember! Sorry I couldn't stay at the celebration longer, but let's face it, Tasha was the important one, right?!