Sunday, June 5, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend is designated each year to the shearing of the sheep. This year, we had 49 sheep to shear. This is a time where the whole extended family gets together to help. It is a family affair in which even the youngest can participate in some capacity.
 First, you need someone to take care of the logistics. Someone has to keep a tally of how many sheep have been sheared and who got first, second, and third.......forty-ninth place. It is a contest, at least when you are under the age of 8 and not participating in the actual shearing of the sheep.

Second, if you are unsure of what to do....look around, there are plenty of people who could use a hand....especially since theirs are dirty. On second thought....
See, what did I tell you? Fun for all ages. Cords, cords for sale....binds up nice and tight! Ne'er a finer cord to be found!
In the world of shearing, there are few things more feared then the start of the sheep. You start on the stomach area. This is least desired for most, as it is the area with the, um, delicates. I don't want to be the one to accidentally snip off something important. So, Grandma and few others are the daring ones that start 'em off and then there are "closers" like the rest of us.
Look, practically a pro...and he is daring enough to tackle the under side. He is also willing to do the neck, which is really wrinkly and one of my least favorite areas to cut. I can shear all the rest. Even the outside tail region...which, honestly, is disgusting. But, after 14 years, you kind of get used to smelling like sheep and looking like....well, not so good, afterward. Scrub down I tell you.

Now, I know you don't see a picture of me shearing, don't let that fool you. I was there shearing away, but apparently, I am the only one that takes pictures to show the hard work my spouse is doing. Documenting his hard work, the sweat, and sore hands. For our posterity.

Alas, contrary to the thought that it is all fun and games, there are dangers involved. This is where the kids come in handy. Wow...that sounds wrong. If you got a good look at my legs today at church, you would have seen all the bruises. I was battered. By sheep. They don't always look at the perks of being sheared and the good word doesn't pass as fast as I thought. So, you have to tie 'em down good and tight and have a little help from your (small) friends.
See? The rope is attached to the free leg. Well, I guess it isn't "free" if it's tied up. The front two are tied up by the head, leaving the hind legs "free".One reason I don't do stomachs...you can't have them completely tied up that way. Ember is strong, she helps keep that leg from moving. Not the most exciting job, but important.
Finally, one must inspect the workmanship of the shearers and make sure they did a good job. No one wants to rehire a person who nicks and cuts the sheep. Poor things. Too bad no one was hired....and there were plenty of nicks and cuts to go around. Kaysen was the ambassador of good will and made sure each sheep had a pleasant decent experience at the salon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! Looks like everyone had a great time and maybe next time we can come so I can take your pic shearing...I think I have one from last year if you want...

H said...

Poor sheep. So much of me wanted to check out sheep shearing, but I have issues with restraining people, animals, etc. I think I could stomach the slaughter better than the tying down.