Tuesday, May 26, 2009

On His Own

We went up north this weekend to shear the sheep. Something we do every year on Memorial Day weekend. The only thing different is that we left our oldest up there.

We gave him a choice on whether he wanted to stay with Grandma with the Horses or take swim lessons this summer, he chose to stay at Grandma's for two weeks. It has already started as the longest two weeks of my life. I have never been away from him for so long (or such a great distance).

He didn't cry when we left, he didn't cry when he called last night. We did a family prayer over the phone and I read him parts of a book. (He asked if I would read to him, which I do every night, and he said he just knows he won't see the pictures.)
I spent part of the night crying my eyes out in the shower and putting it all back together when he called so that I didn't upset him. He is with his Uncle TJ (10) and his cousin Jaiden (8), so I am sure along with the sheep herding there will be a lot of fun mixed in.

I bought him the Magic Tree House series off of Craigslist and he took several of those with him...but I don't think the seven he packed will last past the next few days.

I hope he can hang in there....and I hope I can too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He's growing up aaahhh so sweet Can't you wait til he's gone on a mission instead of at grandma's....